Sunday, May 4, 2014

My Diet Plan


Until recently my diet was based off the Paleo Diet, which is a modern day "fad diet". It consisted of proteins, fruits, vegetables and some oils. A good practice that was incorporated with this diet was the encouragement to consume unprocessed, mostly raw or sprouted, whole foods. Some ways this diet could be improved upon is to add more variety and balance to its menu. It failed to incorporate whole grains, legumes and dairy products. Moving forward I plan to continue to utilize these additional sorts of nutrients as a part of my daily diet.

The textbook suggests measuring portion sizes at home; which can help train myself to be able to identify what adequate portion sizes should resemble. This tool should help me track my calories and nutrient intake better in the future (Sizer, et al, 2014). I am considering using this method to better analyze my own portion sizes moving forward.

Currently I do not do much to track my calories or nutrient intake other than a meal by meal basis. My future diet plan will make use of nutritional trackers, like this one:

I will also further my education and research, as well as keep myself up to date with the latest scientific findings on nutritional health.  Some sources I will continue to review are the ChooseMyPlate.gov and the latest version of the NutritionalGuidelines for Americans.

References

Diamond, A. (2010). “Advice on Eating for Two Should Go Beyond Pregnancy”. Nursing

Standard, 25(1), 28.. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

Sizer, F.,Whitney, E. (2014).  Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies (13th ed.).  Mason, OH:

Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment